You always find interesting little things scanning through the National League leaders in the Bill James Handbook. Here are a few:
- Prince Fielder was 5th in the NL in 2009 in on-base percentage at .412.
- Mike Cameron was 4th in the league in strikeouts.
- Prince Fielder was 3rd in intentional walks with 21 but was still way behind league leader Albert Pujols who had 44.
- Casey McGehee batted .500 with bases loaded - 8th in the league. He was 4th in batting average with runners in scoring position at .371.
- Ryan Braun was 2nd in slugging percentage against left-handed pitchers. Prince was 4th in slugging percentage against right-handed pitchers.
- Ryan Braun led the National League with 9 steals of third base. Really? Wow.
- Braun also led the National League with a 1.347 OPS vs. changeups. Casey McGehee led the league in OPS vs. sliders, and Prince Fielder was 4th in the league in OPS vs. fastballs.
- Prince Fielder was 2nd in the league in RBI% at 12.7% (percentage of potential runners driven in, including himself). Jason Kendall was 7th from last with only 5.2%.
- Corey Hart had the 7th longest average home runs in the league at 414 ft. (ahead of Prince and Ryan Braun - neither of whom made the top 10).